Also known as Almond Paste
The recipe below makes sufficient to cover the top and sides of an 8-9" (20-23cm) cake.
- 12oz (340g) ground almonds
- 6oz (170g) caster sugar
- 6oz (170g) icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
- Few drops of Almond essence
- 2-3 egg yolks to mix
METHOD -- DO THIS A WEEK BEFORE CHRISTMAS.
- Mix all the ingredients together, adding enough egg yolk to make a firm mixture.
- Knead thoroughly.
- Coat the cake with egg white applied with a pastry brush. Alternatively sieve some warmed Apricot jam and apply that with a brush.
- Roll out a strip of paste to coat the side of the cake. Seal the ends using the egg white or a dab of jam. Roll out a circle of paste to cover the top and seal to the sides.
- Smooth the outside with your hands dipped in cornflour (cornstarch) and leave to dry out in the air for three days or so.
to return to the Christmas cake recipe.