This recipe is for ROYAL ICING for a Christmas cake.
PLEASE NOTE - Glacé icing and Frosting are not suitable, and do not keep.
- 4 large egg whites
- 2lb (900g) sieved icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
- 4 teaspoons (20ml) lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) glycerine - bought from a pharmacy or cake decorating store.
- Put the egg whites in a bowl and whisk a little until slightly bubbly.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and beat thoroughly until smooth but not with air bubbles in it. It is much easier using an electric food processor.
- Put icing into a clean bowl and cover with a damp cloth until ready to use.
- Using a hot wetted pallette knife, smooth a thin coating of icing over the top and sides of an 8" marzipaned cake, thick enough to hide the marzipan.
- Add a little more round icing to the top edge and draw into "peaks" using a fork
(snow drifts), leaving room in the centre for your own decorations.
to return to the Christmas cake recipe.